Monday, March 14, 2011

If You Can't Beat It, Join It (the winter, that is)


This past Sunday I decided to test the waters (or snow in this case)and try snow-shoeing. I had never done it and a friend encouraged me to go with her. Sometimes we have to take risks and this one turned out better than I thought it would. We met at Woodlake Nature Center in Richfield, rented the shoes and headed out on a trail. It took some getting use to but I felt completely safe on the ice and snow due to the width of the shoes and the cleats on the bottom. We skirted almost the whole perimeter probably covering a little over 2 miles. I thought my legs would tire faster than they did and even though it was a real workout just being outside and enjoying the fresh air along with a deer, some woodpeckers, and some fellow hikers I felt completely one with nature.


I'd do it again in a minute but may try the cross-country skis next time. With the amount of snow we have had I might just get that chance before spring finally rolls around!

No comments: