Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"I'm, so glad we had this time together..."


I once was asked what my favorite job in the world was. Without even blinking I said parenthood. I knew the time would come when I would no longer be a "mom on site" but just the same a mom. The role just changes. Crowding around a dinner table is no longer an issue. Instead of telling my oldest to get off the phone (pre-cell phone days), it now rings for me from guess-who? Before they were gone it was the sound of laughter, tears, bouncing basketballs, and the beetle-e-beep of video games. I finally have peace and quiet even if I don't desire it. I now have two more rooms in the house in which to decorate, fill with odds and ends, even make a sewing room or library out of them. I know the day will come but at the moment all I seem to be able to do is sit in them and listen to my voice echo off the walls. Yesterday I found a super ball in the corner of one room. It had a picture of Mickey Mouse in the middle. I put it in my jewelry box. I know, I'm hopeless. I also know that life will go on and God will carry me through it. The empty rooms will become something functional and welcome. Dinner will be candlelight and a loving husband. Even the bathroom I shared with my daughter and son will be mine alone with candles and pretty hand towels. Even though I will look forward to holidays more than I have before, I now know how my mom felt when I left home for good.

No comments: