Tuesday, July 14, 2009

5 Feet High by the 4th of July


When I was a kid we were traveling through Iowa on a July weekend to visit relatives and my dad was looking at the scenery and pointed out that the corn in that particular field was 6 feet high. My brother and I didn't believe him (we were 6 and 10 at the time), so he pulled the car over and proceeded to walk out into the cornfield to prove it since he was 6 feet tall. I could write a book with all the goofy things he use to do to amuse us. In with all our Kodak pics we have one of him standing in a cornfield on an Iowa highway. You can just see the crown of his head and almost hear him yelling, "See! 6 feet high by the 4th of July!" When I look at my tomato plant which is 5 feet high I think of that day mostly because I have never had any, and I mean any luck growing tomatoes. This year however, there is going to hopefully be a bumper crop looking at the size of that thing. The only problem at this point is there are no tomatoes on it, only leaves and flowers. Maybe it needs a boyfriend???? (since writing this one week ago I have 4 little tomatoes. yeh!)

No comments: