Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Fill-in Cancer Story


While I'm waiting for Michael's uncle to send me some pictures he took at a bow hunting competition that we went to I thought I would add a blog about something I started doing almost 3 years ago. I have always been a follower of Caringbridge. those of you that don't know what that is it is a site where families that are experiencing a life-threatening illness or injury can share their progress with friends and families through a type of blog site called Caringbridge. I accidentally fell into following a young boy of 12 who was going through a serious cancer diagnosis of Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. He had experienced 2 relapses and on the third relapse he was given the gift of life from an unknown donor through a bone-marrow transplant. He just passed his one year mark and is cancer free. Through his webpage I got to journey with him, his parents and his 4 siblings on the incredible ups and down of their life fighting this awful disease. When they had a fund-raiser I sent for the cookbook which I still enjoy. He also asked people to send their picture and a note about themselves making sure to give the city and state which I did. He received mail and pictures from most of the European countries and the USA. I finally saw my picture one day when his mom posted some snapshots from his hospital room in Cincinatti, Ohio where he lives. It's been fun following his journey. Can you find me? It was my passport photo so it's kind of bad.

No comments: