Saturday, July 12, 2014

A Life Well Lived



The first time I met Myra I was taken back by her booming voice. She was very "out there" if you will. She never minced words when she was sharing her opinion about topics, difficult or easy which is actually what drew me to her. It was "take me or leave me. This is me".
She was a voracious reader, accomplished gardener, and a loving mother and grandmother.  She also was a great hostess. I speak from personal experience on that last one. .  A confident person but also sensitive to others feelings and opinions as well.
A few months back I called her to ask her opinion about something I was wondering about. I was in the process of approaching a mutual friend and I wanted to be as sensitive as I could. She told me to share with my heart and that my friend would understand and accept my feelings on a matter that was troubling me. It turned out that Myra was right about my situation. She told me to be confident and believe in the friendship and everything would eventually work itself out. if not right away.
Myra wasn't a close, close friend but I valued her relationship with me. She was easy to talk to and always made me feel special. Her confidence was contagious almost to the point of jealousy.  She shared her life stories with me about her growing up years, about her father owning a grocery store, etc. I will always think of her when I attempt to eat an over-ripe banana. I probably won't eat it but I definitely will think of her. My visits to her hometown were wonderful. It wasn't like going to Disneyland, but better. She gave up her own bedroom for me, enveloping me into her fold of friends, and inviting and introducing me to her extended family.  There is nothing like seeing friends gather together on a Saturday morning over coffee and great conversation. I enjoyed watching "from the bleachers" as Saturday Morning Coffee unfolded.

I didn't know any of them  but was taken in by them as if I had been a part of their agenda all along. Not to diminish the unbearable grief Myra's family is experiencing right now, I especially grieve for my friend Kathy who now carries on the memory of Myra in her heart.

Loving and caring about a friend as much as they cared about each other is something rare these days and oh so wonderful to watch. I will miss all the games of Hand and Foot that no longer will be played and how she and my friend's husband would debate back and forth about who's turn it was, etc. (I laugh as I write this). I will miss going to Hendrum to visit her and enjoy her garden, her friends, and her wonderful coffee. I will even miss her booming voice, but especially I will miss her friendship but will always remember the difference she made in my life. Rest in peace my friend.
Myra's garden









1 comment:

Jess said...

Thank you, Christine. Hearing how my mama impacted other people's lives is truly the best way for me to be at ease with my grief. I miss her as much as I imagined I would but knowing her memory carries on with so many others makes it a bit more bearable. She considered you one of the best.