Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Heading for Detroit

Leaving for Detroit tomorrow for an overnight. Michael has work there and so I'm tagging along. He works evenings so it's just me and the remote or the laptop which I probably will pursue. Daniel asked me today if I enjoy going on these trips and I told him I do even though I get the feeling that he doesn't like me to be too far away. We are close and he likes us to be near just in case he needs something like advice or a ride somewhere which he doesn't need either of. We had such a good talk this afternoon about someone he ran into at Cariboo Coffee today. He asked me if I believe in signs from God?. We talked about some things I knew about him when he was a kid. He said he didn't remember alot of that. I told him some coping mechanisms he used when he was frustrated as a little guy and what helped him work through "stuff". Sometimes even at 20 years of age we don't really know ourselves and then our mom comes along and tells us about how we looked at life as a child and how that can carry over into adulthood whether good or bad. Learning more about ourselves from others sometimes helps us to understand why we do the things we do and how we react to other people in our lives. The coping mechanisms we used as a child can also carry us through into adulthood even though they usually become more sophisticated. I am so blessed to have a son that values and seeks out my advice on things. I wish he had that kind of a relationship with his dad being a guy. Alot of his questions are relationship based and Michael being a guy I think would help by sharing his own experience of having girl-friends and girl friends. Right now he feels more comfortable seeking my advice as a woman and a mom. Oh well, I'll keep praying for a closer walk/talk with his dad as well and enjoying the time I have with Daniel talking over a cup of coffee. Couldn't think of better company considering Michael isn't a coffee drinker. Btw, I said yes, I did.

No comments: